Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Polls and Polling

I don't really trust polls and believe they contribute to the general decline in voting in that if you are tempted by apathy a belief that someone is going to win whatever happens is not going to encourage you to vote. Worse still they contribute to the increasing tendency of the media to treat speculation as "news" with its ultimate aim of filling space (which in itself seems to be some form of job creation scheme for journalists).

Whatever my views or bile, opinion polls are here to stay and so I have found a site with a quick guide to polling and links to all the main British pollsters. A minor caveat is that ordinarily I would only use sites with verifiable credentials but Mr Wells, though he seems to be a decent, respected and well-informed character, has failed to put his biog on his site so I cannot check.

Anthony Wells' Guide to Election Polls & Pollsters